One of the components of the Hero On A Mission (HOAM) Life Plan is that it starts with your fictional obituary.
That’s right! And you are the one who writes it.
Does that sound morbid to you? For some people it does.
But I happen to like it. In fact, I like it a lot.
We Only Live Once
You see, I’ve come to terms with my mortality. I’m hoping I’ve got 30 or so good years left. But I understand there’s no guarantees. In fact, I’ve stood in front of many mourning congregations of family and friends and read the obituaries of people I loved and admired. So, maybe I’m more conditioned to the idea of the reality of death than some people are.
When I wrote my aspirational obituary, I was forced to think about what’s most important to me in life.
- Noble work
- Lives touched
Foreshadowing my obituary gives me a lens through which I can view my life’s endpoint. It helps me focus on what I hope happens between now and the end of my life story.
Power for Meaning in Life
Here’s the power: reminding myself daily of the fruit I want my one life to produce enables me to reverse engineer my life.
That’s extremely powerful! Let me illustrate.
I live in Fargo, North Dakota. (Yes, I’ve seen the movie. No, we don’t talk like that. At least not most of us.)
If I wanted to take a vacation I could just start driving in some direction and see where I end up.
Or I could think of a place I genuinely want to visit and plan accordingly.
- Someday Jill and I want to go to Europe and visit places our ancestors lived and died.
- Jill and I want to travel from coast to coast on Highway 2 someday.
- We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary on a cruise to Alaska and loved it. We want to take a few more.
None of these vacations will happen if I just start driving one day.
But If I know today where I want to go someday. I can reverse engineer my travel plans. Even today I can take meaningful steps toward experiencing these dream vacations one day in the future.
If I do, some–maybe all–of them will happen.
You can do the same thing with your life. An obituary—the climactic scene from the story of your life—can inspire you to take meaningful steps toward your “dream life.”
I like the idea of “living the dream.” Do you?
There are a few ways to become a Hero On A Mission (HOAM) yourself.
- You can attend a HOAM workshop. (I will host a live workshop in Fargo on March 9, 2021 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. I will also host a Zoom online workshop March 11, 18, 25 from 3:00-4:30 p.m.)
- Or you can go through HOAM with a Certified Business Coach like me.
- Or you can take the course at Business Made Simple University. If you want to do this, email me at email@example.com and I’ll help you get set up quickly!